While pricing your home in line with the current market is the key to selling your home, presenting your home in the best light will help you sell your home faster. The following are 50 ideas for things to do to prepare your home for sale.
Remember, timing is everything, so talk to a local real estate agent to determine your home’s value based on local market conditions.
Throughout the House
1. Open your window coverings, such as drapes or blinds, and let in as much daylight as possible.
2. Create a positive mood by turning on all lights, day or night, to show off your home brightly.
3. Replace incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent or LED bulbs to reduce energy costs.
4. Remove clutter from each room and buyers will perceive a larger space.
5. If you have a fireplace, highlight it in your decorating.
6. Keep your home dusted and vacuumed at all times.
7. Replace the carpet if it does not clean up well.
8. Air out your home for one-half hour before showings.
9. Have a family “game plan” to get the home in order quickly if necessary,
10. Lightly spray the house with air freshener so that it has a chance to diffuse before buyers arrive.
11. Put all family photos in storage.
12. Improve traffic flow through every room by removing unnecessary furniture.
13. Create the feeling of a spacious entry area using decorative accents and removing unnecessary furniture.
14. Putty over and paint any nail holes or other mishaps in the walls.
15. Paint all interior walls and trim a neutral color to brighten the home and make it look bigger. Be sure to use the appropriate sheen.
16. Repair or replace any loose or damaged wallpaper. Remove any dated wall paper and paint the wall.
17. Clean all light bulbs and light fixtures to brighten the home.
18. Wash all windows inside and out.
19. Use plants in transitional areas of your home.
20. Make the most of your attic’s potential by clearing it out as much as possible.
21. Remove and/or hide excess extension cords and exposed wires.
22. Open doors to storage areas you want potential buyers to see such as closets and pantries.
23. Remove all smoke and pet odors.
24. Repair or replace banister and handrails.
25. Microwave a small dish of vanilla twenty minutes before a showing and place it in an out-of-the way place.
26. Highlight an eat-in area in your kitchen with a table set for dinner.
27. Keep the kitchen spotlessly clean at all times.
28. Expand your counter space by removing small appliances and any other clutter.
29. Create a master suite effect in your decorating.
30. De-personalize bedrooms and decorate in a neutral scheme.
31. Make sure that the beds are made and the linens are clean. Smell is a key consideration.
32. Organize your closets and remove unnecessary items. Put those items in temporary storage.
33. Do not leave towels around and wipe down the sinks and shower areas after each use.
34. Re-caulk the tub if the caulk is not sparkling white.
35. Repair or replace broken tiles in the shower/tub.
36. Replace shower curtains and keep them clean.
37. Put out fresh towels and decorative soaps.
38. Keep the bathrooms spotlessly clean at all times.
39. Keep the yard mowed and raked at all times.
40. Consider installing a drought tolerant landscape to appeal to water conscious buyers.
41. Use flowering or fragrant plants to dress up the yard, walkway, and patio.
42. Remove all toys, bicycles, tools, unsightly patio furniture, and trash from the yard.
43. Porches, steps, verandas, balconies, patios, and other extensions of the house should be kept uncluttered, swept, and in good condition.
44. Paint all entrance doors.
45. Make sure the garage door opens easily. Fix and paint the garage door as needed.
46. Clean and shine all hardware and accessories indoors and out (door knobs, knockers, lamps, mail box, address numbers, etc.)
47. Trees and shrubs should be trimmed and pruned.
48. Replace an old doormat with a new one.
49. Be sure the front doorbell is in good working order.
50. Be sure the front door and screen door works perfectly, since you want to make a great first impression.